Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Everybody Gets a Ribbon Day at SSRN

Got this e-mail the other day:
Subject: Your Paper Makes SSRN Top Ten List

Dear Brian Huddleston: Your paper entitled, "Louisiana Legislative
History Resources" was recently listed on SSRN's Top Ten download
list for LIS: Legal Information: Authority, Citation, & Precedent
(Topic). To view the top ten list for the journal click on its name
LIS: Legal Information: Authority, Citation, & Precedent (Topic) Top
Ten and to view all the papers in the journals click on these links
link(s) LIS: Legal Information: Authority, Citation, & Precedent
(Topic) All Papers.

I was curious about this since the last time I checked, the downloads for that paper had barely moved into double-digits (and why I have that many I don't understand - I just put it on SSRN so I could link to it from my on-line resume and publications list, and I don't think I even told anyone it was up there). So I followed the link found this:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
(For the current rankings, see http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/topten/topTenResults.cfm?groupingId=1336982&netorjrnl=jrnl - I'm now third!)

Yes, as the e-mail said, its only the ranking for papers under the Topic of LIS: Legal Information: Authority, Citation, & Precedent, but, as the e-mail was NOT clear, its only in the top ten download for papers that were uploaded in the past 60 days, and, yes, second equals last because there were only two papers for this Topic uploaded in the past two months.

Is this the sort of thing that people trumpet by saying "my paper, Blah Blah Blah, was a top ten download on SSRN" without any qualifications?

No comments: